No Excuses, EVER

It is the time of year when we all have our annual meetings with the director to see whether or not our contracts are being renewed for next season and whether or not we will be receiving a promotion. Having been out for most of the season after my hip surgery I was quite honestly expecting to be let go but was both shocked and overjoyed to hear that my contract has been renewed and I am able to continue working with my current company for the 21/22 season. Naturally as the industry goes others weren't quite so lucky as me and had their contracts terminated. Today we had class with one of my all time favourite teachers; she is one of the most inspirational women I have ever met and as a teacher not only pushes you to be the best dancer you can be but also helps drive your motivation and desire to succeed in a positive way. 

Knowing that we had all had our meetings over the past few days and that people had mixed emotions about the news they received she took the time to talk to us about being authentic to ourselves and altering our perspectives on what had been said to accept it and move on to better things. She reminded us that life isn't easy and sometimes shit will hit the fan but it's how we react in these situations that makes us the strong, resilient and unique people we are. She made the analogy of us all being our own trains. We all have our own tracks going in different directions to reach our goals. No matter how many stops or places that train reaches along the way it has one destination (your goal) and as long as you keep driving that train onwards you will reach that final destination in the end. It doesn't matter what life throws at you or who rejects you as long as it's still your goal to reach that destination you pick your head up, stop making excuses and carry on. Whatever else is going on in your life be it an ill family member, rejection from a company, relationship issues or a global pandemic unless you personally are laid up in the hospital there is no excuse to not give 100% in everything you do. Every class, every rehearsal, every PT session, every epsom salt bath is driving that train forward and as long as you give 100% you will get to where you need to be in the most productive way for you. 

She likened our work ethic to the work of scientists developing the COVID-19 vaccine. She asked us if we would prefer to take a vaccine that had been developed by someone who all their life had had to work for their own success to be the best they could possibly be or whether we would want to take a vaccine that had been developed by somebody who breezed through life and was handed everything on a plate. Every single one of us gave our vote of confidence to the person who had created their own success as subconsciously you know that the person who had to work for everything they achieved will always put 100% into everything they do. She reminded us that you can tell instantly by the way somebody dances and handles themselves in an audition situation if they have given everything and are really determined to get that job or if they have just been blessed with natural talent and facility and are expectant of success. Every director wants dancers who are authentic and honest with themselves and that still have the same drive and determination to succeed as they did when they were just a young child with a dream. Those are the dancers who will always give 100% to their work. No excuses, ever. 

Comments

  1. Hey Kirsty, I really like the train analogy your teacher gave. Although we're aware that we should 'compete' with ourselves and focus on our individual paths, we tend to unconsciously compare ourselves with others. This idea of us being our own trains really visualises how we are our own conductors and no matter how much we compare ourselves with other people, we are still the one who initiates change and turn our thoughts into actions. Thank you for sharing this Kirsty! With some recent changes that has happened, I've been trying to find a new direction for myself to work towards and I think this would be something that I will keep in mind. Also, congratulations for being offered the contract for coming season X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this blog I want to take class with your teacher, she sounds incredible! Congratulations on getting your contract renewed, especially with having to deal with an injury! You're right, dancers are so resilient and take knock backs all the time, but we always come out stronger in the end! It's something that will stick with us through life and I think will make us un-phased in so many situations in the future, as we have grown a thick skin!
    The analogy of the train is so great and makes perfect sense! We are all on our own journeys and sometimes its nice to be reminded of that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirsty,
    Like Theresa I also loved the train analogy, and actually I think I might adopt it for using with my students. I do however disagree with the final points re:natural talent v’s hard work!? Who’s to say that those who have the natural talent haven’t struggled....and vice versa. I think unfortunately those naturally talented ones are usually stereotyped into the fact that they are lazy. There is the rare few that have that natural talent, have worked hard to get where they want their train to go and they will literally non stop work till their fingers bleed to get there. I also think sometimes these are labeled as arrogant or even big headed...but why should they step back out of the limelight- can you tell the difference between that person and the one who has been given it all to them on a plate?
    x great blog and she sounds like a great inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kirsty,
    I loved reading this, and congratulations on your contract being renewed! As others have commented, the train analogy from your teacher is great. I personally have felt like I have had to fight for everything I have been given, and although it has made me enormously resilient and a better artist, it does sometimes make me feel that I am not where I 'should be'. I think especially with social media it is extremely easy to compare yourself to others and feel as though you are falling behind, despite the fact that everyone knows social media is not an accurate representation of people's lives, and many leave their struggles offline. I adore how your teacher turned the narrative of having to fight for everything into a positive thing, and it really motivated me to keep working on myself despite the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection

Module 1 Focus Skype discussion - September 28th

The first interview